Monday, January 31, 2011

Professional Perspectives


The Rewards of Being a Professional Translator

Many people take on certain jobs because of availability, image, and/or financial need.  I fell in this category when I first came to the U.S.  After graduating with a M.A. in English and a concentration in ESL, teaching paled in comparison to the eye-catching, glittering corporate world.  My “wish” for glamour was granted when I later earned my M.B.A. and entered a large corporation with all its visual allures: an onsite gym, café, walking trail and corporate paycheck.  But over the years, I realized that I had given my life, time and talent in exchange for some external packaging.  I actually had a ticket to boredom.

I was excited when I discovered the ATA and started working as a translator/interpreter.  Freedom is a big deal for me.  I am no longer tied to a daily 9 to 5 job.  The flexibility that comes with our line of work also fits well with the responsibility and pleasure I have as a mother with young children.  I can stay home while pursuing a career that uses my passion and expertise.  By the way, working has become fun for me, especially when I serve as a conference interpreter.  I like the preparation phase, doing research on a new subject or certain high profile individual. I  love the high-speed, high-pressure environment in the booth.  It is a sports game I enjoy playing.

To conclude: blessed is the one with a career that brings out his/her passion, talent and full financial potential.

By Liping Zhao
English to Chinese Translator
e-mail: zhaoliping@ymail.com


10 +1 Reasons to Be an ATA Member: A selective & unofficial list

By being an ATA member you can -

10. Stay on top of industry news & trends
9. Engage in informative discussions through various ATA listserves
8. Find business partners through ATA events & publications
7. Save money with member pricing for ATA conference, seminar registration fees & other offers
6. Meet colleagues for information sharing, referrals, & fun!
5. Get your name out there through the ATA Directories
4. Learn business tips about such things as e-marketing & managing client expectations
3. Take the opportunity to become ATA certified
2. Perfect your translation/interpretation skills by attending ATA conferences, seminars & webinars
1. Make more money!

+1 Come eat with the ATA Chinese Language Division folks at the next ATA Annual Conference!

By Evelyn Yang Garland
English to Chinese Translator
e-mail: egarland@actalanguage.com

No comments:

Post a Comment