Thursday, January 31, 2013

Administrative Updates--2013 Spring Issue


MESSAGES FRoM THE ADMINISTRATOR

Dear Colleagues:

I hope this message finds you well and enjoying the holidays. 

I am honored to become administrator of the Chinese Language Division. In 2008, as a relative newcomer to translation and interpretation, I found tremendous support from the Chinese Language Division and American Translators Association when I attended my first ATA Annual Conference in Orlando. After serving as assistant administrator for the past year, I am ready to step in as administrator for the next two years. 

I would like to thank our division’s Leadership Council and the nominating committee for their hard work and devotion toward the success of the CLD. We had a successful showing at the ATA’s Annual Conference in San Diego this year. There were eight Chinese language related presentations. I was able to attend most of them and found them to be eloquently presented and well received. Our networking dinner was very successful, thanks to the meticulous planning of Liping Zhao, our assistant administrator. Prior to the networking dinner, our casual joint lunch with members of the Japanese and Korean Language Divisions was also well attended.  Last but not least, catching up with old friends and making new ones have always been the most enjoyable parts of the ATA’s Annual Conference. 

I am looking forward to working with you over the next two years to make the CLD a bigger, stronger, and more successful language division!

Happy New Year!

Di Wu, ATA Chinese Language Division Administrator (2012-2014)
Chinese <> English Translator and Interpreter


Parting wordS from BIN LIU

Dear CLD members: 

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! I send my best wishes for your businesses and careers in 2013. As some of you already know, I completed my two-year term as CLD Administrator as of October 2012. It was a privilege and a learning experience to work with so many talented and enthusiastic volunteer members. I can’t thank you enough for your selfless service and support. I particularly want to thank the following individuals and groups:

1.   Our past administrators: Mr. Bruce Hyman and Professor Yuanxi Ma. Thank you for your nurturing encouragement and gentle guidance with regards to Division matters. 
2.   Our Leadership Council members: Mr. Di Wu, Acting Assistant Administrator and Chair of the Chinese to English Certification Workgroup; Ms. Katie Spillane, CLD Newsletter Editor; Ms. Evelyn Yang Garland, CLD Newsletter Layout Editor; Ms. Liping Zhao, Administrative Coordinator; and Mr. Huilin Gao, Webmaster.
3.   Our Nomination Committee members: Ms. Barbara (Hua) Robinson, Chair; Ms. Xiaolei Kerr and Mr. Edward (Xianjun) Liu. 
4.   ATA Officers:  Ms. Dorothee Racette, President; Mr. Nicholas Hartmann, Immediate Past President; Mr. Walter Bacak, Executive Director; Ms. Caitilin Walsh, President-Elect; Mr. Jamie Padula, Chapter and Division Relations Manager; Dr. Karen Tkaczyk, Divisions Committee Chair; and Ms. Teresa Kelly, Meetings Manager.

I also want to congratulate Mr. Di Wu and Ms. Liping Zhao for being elected our new Division Administrator and Division Assistant Administrator at the ATA’s Annual Conference in San Diego. I wish them great success in moving the CLD forward. I owe them my sincere thanks for their assistance in carrying out the CLD agenda during the past two years.
  
I was very happy to see so many of you in San Diego and to catch up with what is happening in your lives and businesses. Now that we have mingled with members from the Midwest, East and West of the country, it will be essential to build on our social and professional connections and rally our members to achieve the CLD’s goals.  I am confident that with Di and Liping's strong and expert leadership, our Division will be bigger, stronger and more prosperous in the near future.

Most sincerely yours,

Bin Liu
English to Chinese Translator


No comments:

Post a Comment